During my senior government class in high school, we held a mock trail. We went full out, some of us were lawyers, reporters, defendants (that was me), judges, etc. I loved it! It was so fun to learn about the process of a court proceeding, and I loved the way it made me think. I walked away from that class seriously considering going into law. Then reality hit me and I quickly learned I was not cut out to be a lawyer. Here are some of the reasons why:
1- I HATE DEBATE! That right there pretty much killed this dream before it took off. There is nothing more annoying to me than watching Fox News when they interview a panel of guests. These panels are meant to "debate" a topic, which I think any viewer would agree with me that it is really a contest to see who can talk (or yell) just loud enough to drown out the others.
2- I have very strong opinions. This one might come as shocker to a lot of people (or maybe not, maybe I'm not as quiet and gentle as I think I am), but I hate disagreeing with people because honestly, I'm always right. At least that is how it goes in my head. Now this wouldn't be a problem if I were an open minded person, but I'm not. When someone disagrees with me, I get angry because I know that I am right, and they are therefore a moron.
3- When I get angry, I tend to cry. It's true, ask anyone who has seen me really angry. I think when God made me, He forgot to separate my emotional wires from my anger wires. This could be a potential problem if I were loosing a case in the court room.
4- I cannot argue with someone in person. This is actually something that I've realized recently. When our 5th cable box (in 3 1/2 months) started acting up like all the others, and I called into our cable company to chew someone out, I actually did it! How did this happen? I was on the phone with the person and couldn't see their face. It worked out great since they upgraded us to an HD box for free (for 6 months of course). But this never would have happened if I had to go into their office for this discussion. I mean, I was really really unkind. Well, maybe stubborn is a better word. But if I were to want to yell at my parents growing up, I'd open my mouth and say something like "You're Stupid!!!" (with a lot of anger behind it, while on the verge of tears). This knowledge has been useful in my life though, Shawn and I never really fight (because I know I am incapable), and I never argued with my parents (because I always started crying before I got that far).
And last but not least- When I think I have a good point to make, I get it all figured out in my head, and it sounds so good. As I think about it more and more, I know that this is something that they cannot deny, this will really stump them. Then I open my mouth and try to say it. Honestly, I really believe that for some people, people like me, when you open your mouth, your thoughts really do fly away. I know that is what happens, because I always have a really good point, and then second I try to vocalize them, poof! They're gone. This isn't just with arguments either. It's common in everyday conversations (so I often find myself feeling really really stupid), and it's definitely show up for an attempted wedding toast (sorry Krista, I really had so many sweet, and good things to say about you).
So just in case you ever wanted to know, or really cared at all, I will never be going into law. I think this post (while totally useless to everyone who reads it) just might explain myself to some friends and associates. I'd be surprised if there is a person out there who hasn't spent a moment with me where they ask themselves "huh?". Just know that I am aware of this, but really I'm just so smart that I'm socially awkward.
Wickhams
11 years ago



9 comments:
oh my gosh chantell I am the same way! Whenevr I am mad I cry and look like an idiot and I an never prove myself cause I am not quick but I am always right too! And the hardest thing of all, is in high school I was so confident and my 3 best friends thought I was funny and we all just understood eachother and then I went to the real world and I am just slow and can't get my words to sound smart! I actually thought you were always really quick with your words and you vocalized yourself quite well, not to mention I didn't really see you cry too much either. Then again, like I said, that was around me..
All those things are the exact opposite of Steve, that's why he is in law school. However I am very much like you and I KNOW I'm right but I have no chance arguing with him so I just cry as well.
Remember when you threw water in my face because you were feeling very strongly about Monopoly... maybe you should try that instead of arguing. It worked really well and I got the point! ;) I like you Tell!
All she threw at you was water? Wow, she's moved on from that. Books, pots, pans, children...you name it.
Not true, I don't throw anything but heated words and looks that can kill.
Chantell: In reply to your comment on my sketching blog, thank you so much. You're so sweet to say so. And about this post, I completely agree. Though I've gotten a better business head lately because of things that are going on, and it helps. It'm so glad to see that you're doing well.
Anni (Howard) Winings
Tell I love you! I'm pretty sure that's exactly how I am too, and from the looks of it, Heather as well! Maybe that's why we're all best friends. We really know what each other is trying to argue because we can read each other's minds and nothing ever needs to be said! Haha, I'm pretty sure that I'm dang excited for when we all get to stay the night in a hotel room again, there will probably be crying, not from madness or sadness, but because we'll all be laughing so hard! We all know that I probably cry the most out of all our friends....."Haley ate my cupcake!" :)
Oh Chantell, where do I begin?? First of all, you are hilarious! I've always laughed at how you are always so sure you're right - like about Kathryn McPhee and also watermelon. I love that you threw water on your friend playing Monopoly - so classic Chantell. You need to be more like me - noncompetitive and playing just for fun! I love you so much!!! And no, don't go into law. You've learned that trying to debate Jeff!
Post a Comment